Income – Providing basic needs while promoting financial stability and independence
United Way in Action...
Here are just a few examples of United Way's impact on our community:
- The Individual Development Account (IDA) program helps students and potential homebuyers save for those major expenses by matching their amounts with a 3:1 ratio.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) runs from January 15 - April 15 and allows taxpayers to have their returns filed at no cost while seeking the most credits and exemptions for which they are eligible.
- In March 2011, United Way launched its full-scale BankOn Tippecanoe initiative. It is an effort to help "unbanked" Hoosiers find and secure free to low-cost checking accounts. With checking accounts previously unbanked Hoosiers will save hundreds of dollars in monthly check-cashing fees, begin saving for the future, establish solid credit histories, and receive financial literacy training along the way.
- United Way's participation in the Solutions Beyond Shelter (SBS) plan is helping mobilize individuals and organizations to focus on addressing homelessness in our community.
- Additionally, United Way's collaboration with the Lafayette Crisis Center allows people who need non-emergency help to dial 2-1-1 information and search to locate the resources they need.